DYNAMIC EFFICIENT YOUTHS
The Department of Youth Affairs is the government agency responsible for national youth development and was established in 2005. Prior to this national youth development was twinned with Community Affairs as the Department of Youth and Community Development.
The Department of Youth Affairs, now a standalone agency, is an amalgamation of three agencies that worked toward youth empowerment: the Youth section of the Department of Youth and Community Development, the Alliance for Social Wellbeing and the National Youth Organization. This new agency is now one of the four departments in the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Gender Affairs.
The DYA - A dynamic, efficient and youth - friendly organization that uses research-driven approaches and up to date technologies to facilitate the realization of the full potential of all our young people through their empowerment thus enabling their contribution to national and regional development
OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
To deliver relevant programmes and services that facilitates the holistic development of Antigua and Barbuda’s young people and to foster a culture of positive youth engagement and support for personal development so that they can meaningfully contribute to their families, communities and the nation.
- Holistic Development
ROLE OF THE DEPARTMENT OF YOUTH AFFAIRS
- Developing and coordinating policy, within existing policy structures to address the needs of youth.
- Maximizing interagency collaborations to utilize the significant expertise and to maximize the use of scarce resources
- Finding and elevating models of "what-works" and help replicate them nationwide.
- Developing innovative strategies and programmes that efficiently and effectively respond to the needs of youth
- Establishing and promoting standards of practice as well as monitoring all youth development activities
The Department implements its programme through:
- Strategic alliances with national, regional and international partners and agencies;
- Establishing and supporting a National Youth Council;
- Zonal/Community Youth Development programmes
- Community Youth Councils;
- National and targeted programmes; and
THE DEPARTMENT IS DIVIDED INTO SIX(6) UNITS:
- Youth Expression/Voice
- Marginalized Youth
- Leadership & Skills
- Youth Participation
- Social Marketing and Behaviour Change
- Research and Development